Events & Communications Internship – Penang Malaysia
Organisation Name: Penang House of Music
Location: Penang Malaysia
No. of places available: 5
Suitable Discipline/s: History, International Studies, Business, Human Rights, Ancient Cultures, Media & Communications and other relevant disciplines
About the Organisation
The Penang House of Music is a labour of love under the Penang Musical heritage Project (PMHP), inaugurated by the Capricorn Connection in 2007.
PHMP has been documenting the diversity of the local community's cultural and musical traditions before George Town's listing as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but the renewed interest in the state's musical heritage following the listing has only served as a boost to PHMP's good work.
What started out as a passion project has since culminated in two exhibitions at the Penang State Museum in 2010 and 2013, many talks, performances, and the publications of a book “Just For The Love Of It – Penang's Popular Music 1930s – 1960s”.
In line with the Penang State Government's aim and vision of establishing a heritage and creative arts city, PHMP believes that the establishment of the Penang House of Music presents a strong and credible musical history from which the older generations can enjoy a glimpse of the past, and where the young generation can draw inspiration. http://www.penanghouseofmusic.com/our-story/
About the Internship
Role description: Events & Communications Intern
Start Date: Flexible (to be determined with the host)- Semester 1, Winter, Semester 2 or Summer A/B
Duration: 4 – 6 weeks
This position will focus on assisting an ATMA Partner Organisation in developing and implementing brand guidelines, communication templates and collateral to communicate with direct and indirect beneficiaries and also help in developing a marketing plan for the partner organisation.
- Begin as tour guides in the museum to learn the collection and develop an appreciation of its contents.
- Set to work with the collection itself, digitising and documenting material.
- The students also learn about events management, and participate in running exhibitions, events and workshops, introducing performers.
- Students develop skills in curatorial practice, events management and communication.
- There might be instances whereby Penang House of Music might be asked to participate in outside exhibitions and we usually send 2 persons to man the booth and this will normally be around Penang.
- Interest in History, Music and possess communication skills
- Must speak English
- Excellent written and verbal English communication
- Consultative approach to work
- Patient and able to communicate with people from different backgrounds
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
Scholarships & FundingFor further information about available scholarships and funding please click on the links below:
How to Apply
Please apply for ATS3130 or ATS3935 Arts International Internship.
For more information please contact the WIL team.