What is a Monash Sourced placement?
- The WIL team contact a host organisation and arrange specifically defined placements.
- Monash Sourced placements may be with a host organisation either in Australia or overseas.
- ALL host organisations must meet Monash University OHS guidelines and be approved to be part of the WIL program.
Do you get paid?
- Student are not required to be paid during their placements as they receive academic credit for their placements. The WIL team does not ask any host to provide payment to students for Monash Sourced Placements.
What types of Monash Sourced placements can you do?
The WIL team find placements relevant for all majors in the Arts Undergraduate programs (except Journalism).
We work with over 400 partner host organisations, so a wide range of options are available. If you have a clear idea of the specific role you are looking for, please contact the WIL team to find out if we have a relevant role available in upcoming intakes.
If you are unsure what type of internship you would like to undertake, please apply anyway, you will be asked to provide your major, areas of interest and skills or activities you would like to do, which will be used to match you with one of our partner hosts and placements.
We also have a select range of internships known as 'special criteria internships' which are advertised. You will need to ensure you meet the requirement of the advertised internship before applying.
What type of work is required for a placement?
- We seek placements that are meaningful and relevant to your studies – not running coffee!
- We will provide you with an placement description prior to your host interview that will state the aims and duties of your placement.
- We also will ensure that what you have learned in your course will be applied during your time in the host organisation.
What does the host need to do?
- Appoint a mentor/supervisor for the student.
- Provide meaningful work with the opportunity to experience a real-world professional environment.
- Provide a safe working environment (host will need to complete an OHS form when setting up the placement, and provide information regarding their public liability insurance).
- Monash University has a Personal Accident Insurance Policy which provides capital, medical and loss of income benefits for all currently enrolled Monash University students.
- Provide 75-100 placement hours for 6CP and minimum 144 placement hours for 12CP - to be determined before placement.
There is NO obligation for hosts to set assignments for students. Assessment is arranged by faculty. Students may seek advice from the host around their assignments, but there is no obligation for hosts to be involved in academic assessments. Hosts will be asked to provide feedback mid-way through the placement and to complete a survey at the end of the placement.
Your placement proposal:
We will use your responses to the Placement Proposal questions below to assess your application and determine whether you will be shortlisted. Your responses may also be shared with the host organisation when we send your resume. Please see the questions below with some information on what we need to know:
Placement proposal questions:
1 Please describe what type of placement you are interested in and what you hope to achieve?
Please provide clear information about the type of placement you are seeking and what you would like to gain from your placement.
For offshore applications: please specify your three preferred opportunities in this section, and why you are interested in them.
For Undergraduate Special Criteria: please specify your preferred opportunity in this section and provide the opportunity title and how you meet the special criteria.
2 Please identify what specific skills you would you like to develop during your placement and why?
You will need to provide information on your areas for development and improvement that this placement will provide. (e.g. technical skills, communication skills, teamwork)
3 What personal and professional goals do you hope to achieve as part of your placement?
In this section you should be able to provide us with information on how your placement will support your career goals.
4 Please explain how the placement you hope to gain is relevant to your degree/major and how it will enhance your learning
In this section you will need to describe how the placement will relate to your course or major.