Roam wide. Explore ideas, cultures and places. Be as broad or as specialised as you like in one degree.
Flexibility and choice
Choose from 38+ areas of study. Discover untried talents and new interests. Major from day one or wait until second year when you’ve tried other options.
We offer you the largest number of study areas to choose from, giving you maximum flexibility and choice to graduate with your own points of difference.
- Archaeology and ancient history
- Behavioural studies
- Chinese studies
- Communications and media studies
- Digital Humanities (new study area)
- Film and screen studies
- French studies
- German studies
- Global Asia
- Holocaust and genocide studies
- Human geography
- Human rights
- Indigenous cultures and histories
- Indonesian studies
- International relations
- International studies
- Islamic studies
- Italian studies
- Japanese studies
- Jewish studies
- Korean studies
- Literary studies
- Musical Theatre
- Religious studies
- Spanish and Latin American studies
- Theatre and Performance
- Ukrainian studies
Expand your options. Tailor your course to your interests. Choose your second major from outside your main degree.
You can choose to do a double major in any of the Arts study areas listed above, or team an Arts Major with one from the Faculty of Business, Faculty of IT or Faculty of Science (subject to their entry requirements).
Our Bachelor of Arts can be taken as a double degree:
- Bachelor of Arts / Business
- Bachelor of Arts / Business Specialist
- Bachelor of Arts / Commerce
- Bachelor of Arts / Commerce Specialist
- Bachelor of Arts / Education (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts / Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts / Fine Arts
- Bachelor of Arts / Information Technology
- Bachelor of Arts / Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts / Music
- Bachelor of Arts / Science
Take advantage of the most extensive bachelor’s / master’s offering in Australia and graduate with a bachelor’s degree plus a master’s degree in just four years – instead of five.
Add one of the following Master's degrees to your Bachelor of Arts:
- Master of Applied Linguistics
- Master of Bioethics
- Master of Communications and Media Studies
- Master of Cultural and Creative Industries
- Master of International Development Practice
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Sustainable Tourism Management
- Master of Interpreting and Translation Studies
- Master of Journalism
- Master of Public Policy
- Master of Tourism
Find out more about all of the opportunities available and how the Bachelor of Arts / Master’s double degree works.
Stay sharp. Broaden your mind with new ideas, new people, new experiences and new cultures.
With partnerships with over 100 universities worldwide, a Centre in Prato, Italy, and a campus in Malaysia, you're spoilt for choice. And whether you go for two weeks or two semesters, there’s a program to suit your interests and needs.
Overseas study is now guaranteed* as part of your Monash Bachelor of Arts degree with the Global Immersion Guarantee.
From 2018 every Bachelor of Arts student will have the opportunity to spend two weeks studying in Italy, Indonesia or Malaysia, with airfares and accomodation covered as part of your degree!
Grow as a person and as a professional. Study overseas for two weeks or two semesters.
Discover a world of opportunity in your Major, Minor and Specialisation with us.
- Archaeology (formerly ancient cultures)
- Behavioural Studies
- Chinese Studies
- Communications and Media Studies
- Cultural Economy – Masters only
- Electives – Arts
- Electives – Open
- English as an International Language
- Film and Screen Studies
- French Studies
- German Studies
- Global Cultural Literacies
- Holocaust and Genocide Studies
- Human Geography
- Human Rights
- Indigenous Culture and Histories
- Indonesian Studies
- International Development – Masters only
- International Relations
- International Studies
- Italian Studies
- Japanese Studies
- Jewish Studies
- Korean Studies
- Literary Studies
- Religious Studies
Experience learning outside of the classroom - our programs span visiting museums to industry partners, and relevant geographical areas.
2–4 week intensive units over your summer or winter break are available around the world. Places fill quickly on a first-come, first-served basis so be sure to get your application in early!
Short-term intensive programs:
- Chinese Intensive Language Program (CILP) – Shanghai or Beijing, China
- Le Cavilam French Language School – Vichy, France
- Indonesian Intensive Language Program – Lombok, Indonesia
- Italian In-Country Programs – Prato, Italy
- Japanese Intensive Language Programs – Various locations, Japan
- SNU Korean Language Education Center – Seoul, Korea
- Intensive Spanish and Culture in Spain – Granada, Spain
- Ukrainian Language and Culture Summer School – Lviv, Ukraine
Semester-length language programs:
Gain up to 24 credit points with overseas study towards a language major at a suitable host institution, that either has an exchange agreement with Monash Abroad or any other approved tertiary institutions.
- China (We have exchange agreements with Tsinghua University, Peking University, Nanjing University, Zhejiang University, Sun Yat-Sen University, Shanghai Jiaotong University and many more)
- France (We have exchange agreements with Sciences Po Paris, Lyon III, Sorbonne Paris III and the Université François Rabelais in Tours)
- Germany (We have agreements with universities across Germany including in Berlin, Munich, Cologne and Heidelberg)
- Indonesia (Programs are run through our membership with the Australian Consortium for ‘In-country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS))
- Italy (We have partnerships with the Universities of Bologna and Florence; and students enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts/Business may also study at Bocconi University (Milan) and at the University of Turin)
- Japan (We have 12 partner universities in Japan including the most prestigious universities: University of Tokyo, Hitotsubashi University, Ochanomizu University, University of Tsukuba, Saitama University, Chiba University, Nagoya University, Osaka University, Waseda University, Seikei University, Meiji Gakuin University and Rikkyo University)
- Korea (We have exchange agreements with Korea University, Korean Advanced Institute of Science & Technology, Seoul National University, Sogang University, Sungkyunkwan University, Yonsei University)
- Spain (We have exchange agreements withthe Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid and the University of Navarra)
- Europe – Grade Conversion Table (PDF)
- Asia – Grade Conversion Table (PDF)
- Americas – Grade Conversion Table (PDF)
For advice about your eligibility to undertake the Program and how it fits into your course, please contact:
Faculty of Arts
2nd Floor, South Wing
Menzies Building 11
20 Chancellors Walk
Monash University, Clayton campus
Level 5, Building H
Monash University, Caulfield campus
Phone: 1800 MONASH (666 274)
Absorb beauty. Study in the historic city of Prato nestled in the picturesque Tuscan landscape. A great base for European study and tours.
You can do just four weeks, or up to a full semester (12 weeks) with the flexibility of taking one, two or three of the following blocks in any order.
- Block 1: 24 September – 19 October
- Block 2: 22 October – 16 November
- Block 3: 19 November – 14 December
Whilst you are there, you can also enrol in a range of Study Tours.
We offer you the opportunity to study at our exchange partner universities around the world. Students are also able to apply to a non-partner university (although tuition fees will be paid to the host institution).
We have partnerships for Arts Internships around the world. Get hands-on experience while you gain study credit. Open up new pathways and opportunities for your career.
You can gain credit with an internship unit ranging from general Arts Internship units to specialised offerings in journalism, the Victorian Parliament, Theatre and Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics.
Current internship positions:
You can gain industry experience locally or internationally through a range of our partners (view current internships open for applications) or through an institution of your own choice.
Discover where a Bachelor of Arts can take you
CRICOS code: 075404D
What the world needs now is you
Did you know a third of all Fortune 500 CEOs have liberal arts degrees?
A career in any industry is possible with an Arts degree.
From our industry partners:
'At NAB we are always looking for top talent across our business. Positions range from project management and consulting to banking and finance. Our employees come from many different study backgrounds, including Arts. What we value is innovation, great communication skills, initiative, problem-solving, critical thinking and teamwork. We encourage Arts graduates to apply for jobs within our organisation.'
Nina Pollard, Head of Talent Acquisition, National Australia Bank