Investigating adolescent family violence
Investigators: Dr Kate Fitz-Gibbon, Professor Jan Coles, Professor JaneMaree Maher, Professor Jude McCulloch, Dr Deborah Western
Project contacts: Dr Kate Fitz-Gibbon and Professor JaneMaree Maher
Adolescent family violence (AFV) describes violence perpetrated by young people against family members. This distinct form of family violence has a detrimental effect on the health and wellbeing of families. To date, there is limited research examining AFV, and few tailored responses and programs to address it.
Investigating adolescent family violence is a project being conducted by a multidisciplinary team of Monash University researchers from the School of Social Sciences, the Department of General Practice, and the Department of Social Work. It will explore attitudes towards, patterns of, and the impact of AFV. The project builds on, and compliments, work being conducted in the United Kingdom (titled Investigating adolescent violence towards parents). Associate Professor Rachel Condry, Oxford University, the lead researcher on adolescent violence research in the UK visited and conducted a workshop with Monash researchers in February 2017.
This is a pilot project, funded by a Monash Affinity grant, which will build knowledge in this complex area, and form the basis of a national project. The findings will be of relevance to all Australian jurisdictions, and have the potential to inform and reform legal, health and social responses to AFV, and provide a greater understanding of ‘risk’.
The project has completed focus groups for those who support adolescents and families and an anonymous survey: our thanks to those who shared their experiences so generously.
- Focus groups and interviews with 45 service providers
- 7 in-depth interviews with GPs
- 120 survey responses from people who had experienced AFV
We plan to report in April 2018.
- The team's piece in The Conversation: ‘Long Ignored, Adolescent Family Violence Needs Our Attention’
- The team's report: Investigating Adolescent Family Violence: Background, Research and Directions.
- Monash GFV Research brief: Understanding Adolescent Family Violence
- Monash GFV Research brief: Understanding Parricide