Verge Creative Writing Journal
2020 Verge Call for Submissions
Monash University's annual creative writing journal is now calling for submissions:
The spiritual and the ordinary, the superstitious and the obsessive, the sacred and the profane - interpret this theme however you please.
We’re looking for creative fiction (short stories and poems); visual responses (graphic novella extracts and photo essays); and creative nonfiction pieces (narrative nonfiction and personal essays) that challenge and confront, entertain and intrigue.
It could be wearing a lucky bracelet for every job interview, cooking a specific meal before watching the game, saying grace before meals, brushing your teeth before bed. Ritual can be seen in the act of hunting, of butchering, of cooking, of feasting - and that’s just food. Ritual can be seen in the mud-spattered legs of dancing festival-goers and in the gentle cleansing of a cold dead body.
Rituals surround the mundane moments and the profound. Every human community has rituals and every ritual says something interesting.
Verge 2020 Submission Guidelines:
1. Open to emerging and established writers.
2. No submission fee.
3. Must be an original unpublished work and not be under consideration elsewhere.
4. Poetry: maximum 60 lines; Graphic novel and photo essay: print quality, maximum 4 pages; short story, narrative non-fiction and personal essay: maximum 3000 words.
5. 12-point font; Times New Roman; A4 page with 2.5cm margins; minimum 1.5 line spacing. Please note: authors of works requiring specific layout or white-space can request details for final page dimensions of the printed issue.
6. If a text file, use a header with the title of your work and the page number. Your name must not appear on your work.
7. Each submission must be saved as ‘Your name – Title of the work’ (maximum 3 submissions).
8. Acceptable file formats: .doc, .docx and .rtf for text files; .jpeg, .psd and .png for image files. Contact the editors with any queries.
9. Include a cover letter that has your name, address, email, phone number and a 50-word third-person bio.
10. Submit only electronic copies with the subject heading ‘Submission' to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Tuesday 15 October 2019.
Back issues of Verge are available at Monash University Publishing.