Producing and Consuming Japan: A study tour through western Japan
|Coordinator:||Dr Jason Jones|
|Season:||Winter Study Tour|
|On campus Teaching:||N/A|
|Overseas Dates:||2 July - 18 July 2019|
|Pre-departure session (compulsory):||16 May 2019|
|Application Details:||Apply Now|
This intensive study program enables students to recognise and assess the nature of consumption in Japan. This unit addresses the diversity of scales of production, and examines the cultural discourses accompany and frame the marketing and consumption of consumer goods. Students travel via Hiroshima to Osaka and Kyoto, experiencing these places as collections of contrasting neighbourhood and villages each with their own cultures of production and consumption.
Students come out of their experience with a more sophisticated understanding of Japanese society and culture, and the nature of production and consumption in a post-industrial, increasingly globalised world.
|Deposit:||$500 deposit is due at time of application|
|Total Program fee:||$5960|
|Final Payment Due:||by Monday 06 May 2019|
All program fees are paid to Reho Study tours (Our Travel Service Provider). Payment process outlined in the MAP application portal.
*Please note that the deposit is non-refundable except in the case that your application is not successful.
Included in the program fee:
- All accommodation 3.5 - 4 start hotel (twin share) in Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Osaka
- Breakfast included daily at accommodation
- International flights
- Return airport transfers
- All transport on tour including Japan Rail Pass - bullet train
- Entrance fees with English Speaking Guides:
- Walking tour of Fukuoka
- Nagasaki Day Trip - Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum
- Asahi brewery - lunch at Ramen Stadium
- Hiroshima day trip including Hiroshima Castle
- Kyoto Day Trip - Kyoto Imperial Museum, Zen Buddhists temples
- Okayama Castle
- Nagoya trip - visit Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry
- Takarazuka Grand Theatre
- Other Activities included:
- TOTO Museum
- Walking tour of Osaka
- Cup Noodle Museum: Customize your Cup Noodles and make Chicken Ramen by hand!
Not included in the program fee:
- Tuition fees. Monash students will be charged fees according to their funding status.
- Visas (if required)
- Spending money/incidentals
- Some meals
*Please review the full list of inclusions and exclusions outlined in the Monash Abroad Portal (MAP) and Reho Study Tours cancellation policy.
All students will receive a Monash Abroad Travel Grant.
Visa Information & Vaccinations
Please visit smartraveller.gov.au for up-to-date information on visas and health and vaccination requirements for Japan.
Monash University Health Services can assist with any vaccinations you require.
All outgoing students will receive complimentary travel insurance. To view the coverage, visit the Monash Abroad website.