Call out for papers at Eisenstein for the 21st Century Symposium, Prato Centre June 2018
To mark the 120th anniversary of Sergei Eisenstein’s birth, Monash School of Media, Film and Journalism research fellow, Dr Julia Vassilieva, is convening an international symposium at the Monash University Prato Centre, Italy in June 2018.
Examining the legacy of the revolutionary Russian director and film theorist, and his continuing relevance to contemporary screen studies, this symposium offers scholars a forum in which to assess and chart new directions for research on Eisenstein’s heritage in the light of the current theoretical challenges and technological advances in film studies.
Supported by Monash’s Australian Research Council, Faculty of Arts and School of Media, Film and Journalism, Dr Vassilieva is seeking proposals for papers and audio-visual presentations that explore Eisenstein’s work from any of the following perspectives:
- New publications and translations of Eisenstein’s texts
- New perspectives on Eisenstein’s films
- Eisenstein and the visual arts
- Eisenstein, philosophy and politics
- Eisenstein’s writings and media archaeology
- Eisenstein’s legacy and new approaches to montage
- Eisenstein, cinema and the brain: affect, cognition, embodied perception
- Gender and sexuality in Eisenstein’s writings, films and drawings
- Einstein’s theory-and-practice and intermediality
- Eisenstein, new media and the rise of the audio-visual essay
- Mythologizing Eisenstein: Eisenstein as a subject of biopics
- Eisenstein’s circle: formal and informal networks of collaborations
Please send an abstract of 200-250 words with a brief biographical note (150 words) to email@example.com by 1 January 2018.
To be held on 21-22 June 2018 at Monash Prato, close to several of Europe’s esteemed institutions, the symposium program will include: a round-table with Naum Kleiman (Moscow); keynote papers by Professor Ian Christie (London), Professor Joan Neuberger (Austin), Professor Antonio Somaini (Paris); and an audio-visual presentation by Adrian Martin and Cristina Álvarez López (Vilassar de Mar). In addition, in nearby Bologna in the last week of June 2018, La Fondazione Cineteca di Bologna traditionally runs “Il Cinema Ritrovato” festival.
Study at Monash