The MMIC researcher and postgraduate network have been very productive on the publishing front in the past few months and have a number of new publications to share with you.
- Fili, A., Jahnsen, S. and Powell, R. (2018) Criminal Justice Research in an Era of Mass Mobility, London: Routledge.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. (2018) The New Security: Individual, Community and Cultural Experiences. Palgrave Macmillan: Houndmills.
- Gamlen, A. (In Press 2018). Human Geopolitics: Emigrants, States and the Rise of Diaspora Institutions. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Segrave, M., Milivojevic, S., & Pickering, S. (2018) Sex Trafficking and Modern Slavery: The absence of evidence. Oxford: Routledge.
- Benier, K., Wickes, R., and Higginson, A. (2015). Ethnic hate crime in Australia: Diversity and change in the neighbourhood context. British Journal of Criminology, 56(3), 479-496.
- Corcoran, J., Zahnow, R., Wickes, R. and Hipp, J. (2017) 'Neighbourhood land use features, collective efficacy and local civic actions' Urban Studies: 1-19.
- Durbidge, L. (2017) 'Duty, desire, and Japaneseness: A case study of Japanese high school study abroad' Study Abroad Research in Second Language Acquisition and International Education, 2(2): 206-239.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. and McCulloch, J. (2016) International Students and Gender-Based Violence, Violence Against Women, 22(3): 344-365. DOI:10.1177/1077801215602344
- Forbes-Mewett, H. and Sawyer, A-M. (2016) International Students and Mental Health. Journal of International Students, 6(3): 661-677. IGA Global USA.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. and Wickes, R. (2017) The neighbourhood context of crime against international students. Journal of Sociology. Online first.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. (2016) The impact of regional higher education spaces on the security of international students, Higher Education Research and Development, Special Issue – New frontiers: Exploring the space/s of Higher Education, 35(1): 115-128. Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Gamlen, A., Bardsley, D. and Tan, Y. (In Press 2018) 'Weaving the strands: A review of Graeme Hugo's work on environmental migration' Population and Environment.
- Gamlen, A. and McIntyre, C. (In Press 2018) 'Mixing methods to explain emigrant engagement'. Journal of Mixed Methods Research.
- Gamlen, A., Cummings, M., and Vaaler, P. (2017) 'Explaining the rise of diaspora institutions' Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. Online first.
- Gamlen, A., Overton, J. and Murray, W. (2017) 'Investigating Education, Migration and Development: Moving Triangles in the Pacific' The New Zealand Geographer, 73: 3-14.
- Gordon, E. (2017) 'Crimes of the Powerful in Conflict-Affected Environments: False Positives, Transitional Justice and the Prospects for Peace in Colombia', State Crime Journal, 6(1): 132-155.
- Han, G-S., Forbes-Mewett, H. and Wang, W. (2018) 'My own business, not my children's: Negotiating funeral rites and the mobility and communication juncture among Chinese migrants in Melbourne'. Mobilities.
- Hipp, J.R. and Wickes, R. (2018) Problems, perceptions and actions: An interdependent process for generating informal social control. Social science research, 73, pp.107-125.
- Hipp, J.R. and Wickes, R. (2017) 'Violence in urban neighborhoods: A longitudinal study of collective efficacy and violent crime' Journal for Quantitative Criminology, 33(4): 783-808.
- Hipp, J.R. and Wickes, R. (2016) Minority status distortion and preference for in-group ties. Socius, 2, p.2378023116640281.
- Hirsch, A. L. & Doig, C. (2018) 'Outsourcing Control: The International Organization for Migration in Indonesia', (2018) International Journal of Human Rights, 22(5): 681-708.
- Hirsch, A.L. & Bell, N. (2017) 'The Right to Have Rights as a Right to Enter: Addressing a Lacuna in the International Refugee Protection Regime', Human Rights Review, 18(4): 417-437.
- Kimpton, A., Corcoran, J. and Wickes, R. (2017) 'Greenspace and Crime: an Analysis of Greenspace Types, Neighboring Composition and the Temporal Dimensions of Crime',. Journal of Research of in Crime and Delinquency 54(3): 303-337.
- McNevin, A and Missbach, A. (2018) 'Refuge as a Horizon of Aspiration (Or, What The International Refugee Regime Can Learn From Acehnese Fishermen)', Journal for Refugee Studies.
- McNevin, A and Missbach, A. (2018) 'Luxury Limbo: Temporal techniques of border control and the humanitarianisation of waiting', International Journal of Migration and Border Studies. 4(1-2): 12-34.
Missbach, A. (2018) 'Facets of hospitality: the temporary stay of Rohingya refugees in Aceh', Indonesia, Vol. 104, 2017: 41-64.
- Okhovat,S., Hirsch, A., Hoang, K. & Dowd, R. (2017) 'Rethinking Resettlement and Family Reunion in Australia', 42(4) Alternative Law Journal 273.
- Palmer, W., & Missbach, A. (2018) 'Judicial Discretion and the Minimum Statutory Sentence for Migrant Smuggling through Indonesia' Asian Journal of Law and Society,1-19. doi:10.1017/als.2018.7
- Paranage, K. (In Press 2018) 'Constructing the 'legalities' of encroachments in dam, canal, and stream reservations in the north-central province of Sri Lanka' Development Studies Research.
- Pruitt, L., Berents, H. and Munro, G. (2018) 'Gender and Age in the Construction of Male Youth in the European Migration "Crisis"' Signs, 43(3): 687-709.
- Pruitt, L., Hamilton, G., Heydon, G. & Spark, C. (2017) 'Abbott's 'budget crisis', CALD women's loss? Service providers explore the impact of funding cuts'. Australian Journal of Political Science, 52(3): 335-350.
- Sargeant, E., Murphy, K., Wickes, R. and Mazerolle, L. (2017) 'Surrounded by violence: How do individual perceptions and community context shape views about violence?' Australian New Zealand Journal of Criminology.
- Segrave, M. and Burnett-Wakes, K. (2018) 'Addressing family violence through visa sponsor checks: a step in the right direction?' Current Issues in Criminal Justice 29(6) pp155-165
- Segrave, M., Forbes-Mewett, H. & Keel C. (2017) Migration Review Tribunal decisions in student visa cancellation appeals: Sympathy, hardship and exceptional circumstances Current Issues in Criminal Justice. 29 (1): 1-17
- Schermuly, A. and Forbes-Mewett, H. (2016) Food, identity and belonging among South African-Australians, British Food Journal 118(10): 2434-2443.
- Sydes, M., Wickes, R., Higginson, A. (2014). The spatial concentration of bias: An examination of the community factors that influence residents’ perceptions of bias crime. Australia New Zealand Journal of Criminology, 47(3), 409-428.
- Tan, H. and Forbes-Mewett, H. (2017) Whose 'fault' is it? Becoming Homeless in Singapore. Urban Studies. Online first.
- Van Kooy, J. and Bowman, D. (2018) ''Surrounded with so much uncertainty': asylum seekers and manufactured precarity in Australia' Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. Online First.
- Wickes, R., Broidy, L. and Hipp, J.R., (2018) Responding to Neighborhood Problems: Is the Division of Community Labor Gendered?. Crime & Delinquency, 64(9), pp.1215-1241.
- Wickes, R., Zahnow, R., Shaefer, L., and Sparkes-Carroll, M. (2017) 'Neighborhood Guardianship and Property Crime Victimization', Crime & Delinquency, 63(5):519-544.
- Wickes, R., Britt, C. and Broidy L. (2017) 'The resilience of neighborhood social processes: A case study of the 2011 Brisbane Flood' Social Science Research, 62(1): 96-119.
- Wickes, R. and Hipp, J.R., 2018. The spatial and temporal dynamics of neighborhood informal social control and crime. Social Forces.
- Wickes, R., Hipp, J., Sargeant, E., and Mazerolle, L. (2017) 'Neighborhood social ties and shared expectations for informal social control: do they influence informal social control actions?', Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 33(1): 101-129.
- Wickes, R., Sydes, M., Benier, K., and Higginson, A. (2016). “Seeing” Hate Crime in the Community Do Resident Perceptions of Hate Crime Align With Self-Reported Victimization? Crime & Delinquency, 63(7), 875-896.
- Wickes, R., Pickering, S., Mason, G., Maher, J.M. and McCullough, J. (2015). From Hate to Prejudice: Does the new terminology of prejudice motivated crime change perceptions and reporting actions. British Journal of Criminology, 56(2), 239-255.
- Wickes, R. Zahnow, R., White, G. and Mazerolle, L. (2013). Ethnic diversity and its impact on community social cohesion and neighbourly exchange, Journal of Urban Affairs, 36(1), 51-78.
- Wickes, R., Hipp, J., Zahnow, R., and Mazerolle, L. (2013). “SEEING” MINORITIES AND PERCEPTIONS OF DISORDER, Criminology 51(3), 519-560.
- Wickes, R. (2010). Generating action and responding to local issues: Collective efficacy in context, Australian New Zealand Journal of Criminology, 48(3), 423-443.
- Zahnow, R., Wickes, R., Taylor, M. and Corcoran, J. (In press 2018) 'Community social capital and individual functioning in the post-disaster context', Disasters.
- Zahnow, R., Mazerolle, L., Wickes, R. and Corcoran J. (2018) 'Living near violence: How proximity to violence shapes perceptions of police effectiveness and confidence in police', Journal of Environmental Psychology Vol 53: 138-144.
- Zahnow, R., Wickes, R., Haynes, M., and Corcoran, J. (2017) 'Disasters and crime: The effect of flooding on property crime in Brisbane neighborhoods 'Journal of Urban Affairs, 1-21.
- Forbes-Mewett, H. (2018) 'Responsibility', in Bruce A. Arrigo and Geoffrey J. Golson (eds.), The SAGE Encyclopedia of Surveillance, Security, and Privacy. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Gamlen, A. (In Press 2018) 'Why Engage Diasporas'. In R. Cohen and C. Fischer (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Diaspora Studies. London: Routledge.
- Gamlen, A. (In Press 2018) 'Why Engage Diasporas?' In K. Stierstorfer and J. Wilson (eds). The Routledge Diaspora Studies Reader. London: Routledge.
- Gan, J. and Forbes-Mewett, H. (2018) 'International Students Mental Health: An Australian case study of Singaporean students' perceptions. In K. Bista (ed.), Global Perspectives on International Student Experiences in Higher Education: Tensions and Issues. Routledge (Taylor & Francis, USA).
- Gunawardana, S. J. (2018) 'Rethinking labour migration and the state' in True, J., Parashar, S. & Tickner, A. Gendered States Revisited: Implications for 21st Century International Relations Oxford University Press.
Gunawardana, S. J. (2018). ‘Internal migration for development: women in global factories’ in Elias, J. & Roberts, A., Handbook of International Political Economy and Gender, Edward Elgar.
Gunawardana, S. J. (Forthcoming) 'Industrialization, Feminization and Mobilities' in Elias, J. & Roberts, A. Handbook of International Political Economy and Gender, Edward Elgar.
Missbach, A. (2018) 'Big fears about small boats: How asylum seekers keep upsetting the Indonesia-Australia relationship', in: T. Lindsey and D. McRae (eds), Strangers Next Door? Australia and Indonesia in the Asian Century, Bloomsbury Publishing, Melbourne, 2018: 123-144.
- Powell, R. and Segrave, M. (2018) 'In the absence of sympathy: Serious criminal offenders and the impact of border control measures' in A. Fili, S, Janhsen and R. Powell Criminal Justice Research in an Era of Mass Mobility, London: Routledge.
- Thomson, S. B., Nyland, C. and Forbes-Mewett, H. (2017) 'Stigma and Multi-National Corporations'. In S.B. Thomson and G. Grady (eds), Stigmas, Work and Organizations, Palgrave Macmillan, 207-228.
- Wickes, R. (2017) 'Social Disorganization Theory: Its History and Relevance to Crime Prevention'. In B. Teasdale and M. Bradley (eds.) Preventing Crime and Violence Springer International Publishing: 57-66.
- Zahnow, R. and Wickes, R. (2017) 'Violence and Aggression in Socially Disorganized Neighborhoods'. In Sturmey, P. (ed.), The Wiley Handbook of Violence and Aggression. John Wiley & Sons Publisher.
Forbes-Mewett, H., Wickes, R., Markus, A. and Nguyen, K. (2018) 'International Students in Australia: A literature review of key issues over the last 20 years'. Scanlon Foundation. This included employment, housing, education, language, among other major concerns. Commissioned Project.
- Maher, S and Deng, S. A. (2018 )'The role of transnational networks and mobile citizens in South Sudan's global community A pilot study focused on Melbourne and Juba'. Rift Valley Institute and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Addis Ababa. March 2018.
- Missbach, A. et al. (2018) 'The Presidential Decree regarding the treatment of refugees and asylum seekers in Indonesia' (Peraturan Presiden 125/2016), Policy Paper 14, Centre for Indonesian Law and Islamic Studies, University of Melbourne, 2018.
- Petrou, K. and Gamlen, A. (2017) 'Mapping super-diversity in South Australia: a literature review', for the Migration Museum of South Australia.
- Wasserman, R. and Gamlen, A. (2017) 'Literature review: Policy that encourages population to relocate to regional areas', for Page Research Centre.
- Wickes, R., Forbes-Mewett, H., Markus, A., Keel, C. and Powell, R. (2018) 'Chinese and Indian Migration and Belonging in Australia. Commissioned Project' Scanlon Foundation.
Blog posts and online
Missbach, A. and Palmer, W. (2018) 'Indonesia: A country grappling with migrant protection at home and abroad' Migration Policy Institute. 19 September 2018.
Missbach, A. (2018) 'Waiting Years On End', Refugee Research Blog 5 April 2018.