As a Monash student, you're part of a globalised community. Your student experience will be shaped by a diverse range of people – whether you are on campus at Monash, on exchange overseas, or travelling during our breaks. But how can you be effective in this multicultural environment?
Being a global citizen is a crucial attribute for successful leaders. Being culturally aware will allow you to communicate effectively, as well as anticipate, correctly interpret, and adjust to the culturally defined habits of the people around us.
Monash students can choose from a wide range of graduate and undergraduate coursework units to improve their intercultural understanding and skills, and which can complement a range of degree programs.
- ATS1254 Culture, power and difference: Indigeneity and Australian identity
- ATS1255 Encountering cultures: Introduction to anthropology 1
- ATS1515 Reading across cultures
- ATS2250 Communications and cultures in the global era
- ATS2269 Exploring contemporary Australia: People, events, ideas
- ATS2/3671 Managing intercultural communication
- ATS2395 Australia in a globalising world
- ATS2671 Managing intercultural communication
- ATS2716 Cultural diversity and identity
- ATS3083 Translating across cultures
- ATS3302 Global connections: Understanding cultural literacy
- ATS3627 Global cultures, media flows: Creating and consuming (popular) culture
- ATS3779 Cultural linguistics
- ATS3391 A world of sport: Business, politics and media
- ATS3064 Cultural intelligence: Building competencies for global leadership
- NUR1111 Global health and cultural competence in nursing and midwifery practice
Study abroad experiences
Study abroad programs within Global Cultural Literacies
Global Cultural Literacies is a specialisation with the Bachelor of Global Studies, and Monash offers many study abroad programs including in Asia, Central America and Italy which can be credited towards this Global Cultural Literacies specialisation ... Learn More.
The Global Immersion Guarantee
The Global Immersion Guarantee (GIG) is a ground-breaking study experience including a funded overseas experience for all first year Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Global Studies and related double degree students. ... Learn more.
Monash Abroad Portal (MAP)
Monash Abroad MAP allows all Monash University students to search and apply (or register) for overseas study experiences, including Semester Abroad, Study Tours, Summer and Winter School programs and other overseas experiences. ... Learn more.
Arts Learning Abroad and Global Scholars Program
Monash Arts offers a wide variety of opportunities to study overseas, such as Study Tours, Field Trips and Exchange Programs. Arts Global Programs will assist you from your very first step in deciding when you can study overseas and in choosing a program that best fits within your Arts Degree. ... Learn more.
Other training programs and resources for students
Connecting across cultures: becoming a global citizen
Whether you’re studying at Monash, holidaying overseas, on a student exchange program, or simply living day-to-day life in a multicultural society, this module will help you become a more effective and understanding member of our community. This module forms part of the Leap into Leadership Online (LiLO) suite. ... Learn More.
Cultural Safety Program
A short 20 minute online program is available online through Moodle. This gives students an opportunity to learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and culture, and links to further reading. ... Learn more.
Advice from senior international students
Hear from students as they reflect on their time at Monash and offer their best advice for new international students. ... Learn more.
Develop your English language communication skills: academic, conversational, and for employment. Monash University's English Connect programs are free and available to all Monash students on Australian campuses. ... Learn more.