Credit points: 12
Location: Hong Kong
Coordinators: Dr Deb Anderson, Mr Nick Parkin
Program type: Faculty-led Program
- Pre-Departure Session (Compulsory): 29 May 2017
- On Campus Teaching Dates: 26 June 2016
- Overseas dates: 30 June -7 July 2017
- Results: 10 November 2017
– APPLICATIONS OPEN –
What does it take to get a job in journalism in Asia – and why is Hong Kong so vital to the global news industry? In this unit, students will travel to the Asian media capital to explore why this world city is the big draw for news companies from around the globe.
The program begins online in June, when students delve into the organisation, culture and publications of Asian and international media outlets operating in Hong Kong. To follow, students will attend an intensive workshop at Monash University (Caulfield) to deepen their understanding of Hong Kong’s diverse media landscape and consolidate their skills in feature writing.
Then, over seven days, students will travel to Hong Kong and the habour-front news hub of Wan Chai to visit some of the world’s most prestigious publishers and agencies. At each site, students will meet with media practitioners to discuss issues including: How is journalism practised here? What are the differences between Asian and international news outlets in coverage of regional and global affairs?
What journalistic models thrive here amid technological, industrial and social change? Why have global news companies made Hong Kong a ‘home away from home’? And does this city offer journalists a unique window onto the global influence of China?
Students will draw from research literature, their immersive field-school experience and on-site press conferences to complete their own feature article on a key issue relating to news practice, news culture and/or news coverage in Hong Kong.
Deposit: $550 (paid on application)
Total Program fee (includes deposit): $550 – cost includes travel during the study tour, site entrance fees, some meals.
Tuition fees: Monash students will be charged fees according to their verified funding status. This fee will appear on your Monash Fee Statement. Non-Monash students must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about tuition fees.
Accommodation: Your accommodation is NOT included in the program fee. Find accommodation suggestions here.
Other costs: International return airfare* and associated transfers, meals and spending money.
* Please note, students should not book flights until after your application has been approved by the Faculty and the Faculty has confirmed the program will be going ahead.
How to Apply
Applications open: 2 March 2017
Applications close: Applications still open!
- Check that you meet the eligibility requirements
- Ensure the program will fit into your degree course map. All students should complete a course progression check from their faculty.
- Read the full application process
- Check to see if there are any specific application requirements for your chosen program on the programs page.
- Complete the online application form. Incomplete applications will not be assessed.
* Art Study Tour units have a minimum number of students to be able to go ahead. Students should not make any travel arrangements until the Faculty has endorsed their application and confirmed the program will be going ahea
Additional Program Information:
This Program has 10 x $2000 Endeavour scholarships offered to Domestic and Permanent Resident students, and will be assessed on personal statement.
Additional Application Requirements:
- Personal Statement
Required by all applicants and to be submitted on application – Write a brief personal statement (no more than one page), explaining the following:
(i) Why you would like to do the Global Journalism: Hong Kong Field School;
(ii) What inspired you to apply for the program;
(iii) What you would like to learn from the program; and
(iv) What skills, experience or insight you feel you could bring to the group.
Sign out of all non-Monash gmail accounts. Only sign into your Monash (gmail) account.
If accessing on a smart phone, ensure you sign into your My.Monash account on your phone’s browser.