As a Faculty, we have had an excellent year of achievement in education. Both Dr Jonathan McIntosh and Associate Professor Kirsten McLean were recipients of Australian Awards for University teaching and we had unprecedented success in the Vice Chancellor awards with five recipients across the education categories.
Vice Chancellor’s awards
- Dr James Roffee, Vice Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence
- Professor Al Thomson, Vice Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence
- Mr Nick Parkin, Vice Chancellor's Citation for Contributions to Student Learning
- Dr Adam Clulow, Vice Chancellor's Citation for Contributions to Student Learning
- Associate Professor Peter Howard, Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Honours Supervision
- Dr Jennifer Windt, Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research by an Early Career Researcher
The Faculty is in a great position to build on this success and many of the projects underway will help build our innovation profile in education in a way that is sustainable and will ensure an exciting future in Arts education.
In early December, Dean Professor Sharon Pickering took the opportunity to recognise the amazing work that is done across the Faculty by our leaders in education. The recipients of this year’s awards have all shown a commitment to education matched only by their excellence in practice and innovation.
Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- Dr Felix Nobis – Centre for Theatre & Performance
- Dr Andrew Connor (Early Career) – School of Philosophical, Historical & International Studies
- Dr Asher Flynn and Mary Iliadis – School of Social Sciences
Award for Teaching Excellence
- Dr Nadine Normand-Marconnet – School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures & Linguistics
Award for Enhanced Learning
- Arts Master Skills Team (members include Associate Professor Vicki Peel, Jo Hook, Erik Beyersdorf, Janet McGarry, Rod Rizzi, Dr Homa Babai, Blair Gatehouse and Fiona Patterson)
Two new awards this year recognise areas that are key priorities for the Faculty
Faculty Award for Excellent in Post-Graduate Coursework Teaching
This is a new award and aims to recognise outstanding contributions by individuals or collaborative teams to the distinctive nature of post-graduate coursework education at Monash.
- Associate Professor Vicki Peel – National Centre for Australian Studies
As this was a new category the awards panel decided to award an additional two citations in 2017 to recognise the commitment of our academics to this important area. These citations go to
Faculty Citation for Overseas Program that Enhance Learning
This citation recognises best practice in Faculty overseas learning and teaching programs in response to the University's internationalisation and intercultural competence development agenda.
- Suzanne Hampel – School of Philosophical, Historical & International Studies and National Centre for Australian Studies.
Faculty ECR award
- Dr Jennifer Windt – Department of Philosophy, School of Philosophical, Historical & International Studies (Jenny was also the 2017 recipient of the Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research by an ECR).
- Professor Rita Wilson, Dr Marc Orlando, and Dr Jim Hlavac for their project From practice-informed research to social cohesion: a multidisciplinary approach to transform multicultural policy and aid equal access to social services nationally and internationally as recipient of the 2017 Dean's Award for Research Impact.
Dean’s Award for Exceptional Performance by Professional Staff
- Commendation: Mal Dhaliwal – School Manager, Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music and School of Social Sciences
- Team Commendation: Catherine Joseph and Yiou Zhang – Teaching Support Officers
- Award: Yiou Zhang – Teaching Support Officer